Albert Einstein once said, “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.” Now we can all pretend that this hasn’t happened to us, but let’s be real with ourselves… at times we are innnnsaaannnee. Now I don’t mean insane in the literal sense where someone is going to call a code 5150 on you, nonetheless we all have struggles especially when our habits and stubborn ways of thinking get the best of us.
In order to fix this, we first have to know the source of the problem… so let’s quickly go over “THE PROBLEM.”
- Bad Habits: The definition of a habit, is a regular tendency that is difficult to give up. In fact, 40% of our daily actions are actually not decisions we make, but habits we automatically perform. Now we can see how this can be an issue, especially if we have habits that no longer serve who we are or who we are becoming. At times, that can be the biggest struggle with change. We simply have those habits that we don’t want or don’t know how to let go, which can cause detriment to our promising future.
- Negative thinking: The cliché saying, “don’t be a pessimist, be an optimist,” isn’t so cliché after all. Our thoughts control our mood, which can control our actions and ultimately the person we are. Envision this with me for a second, It’s Monday, (which for most warrants negative thoughts before even opening their eyes) and you're not exactly enthused to start the day, so you snooze once, then once more when the alarm goes off 10 minutes later. Then when you finally decide to get out of bed, your twenty minutes behind schedule and now you're rushing because you can’t be late for work. Due to the lack of time you can’t get ready like you planned, your confidence is running low, you're tired AND you’re running late for work. You finally arrive at work ten minutes late only to remember you have your weekly staff meeting today and you aren’t prepared. At this point, not only are you tired and lacking confidence, you’re also stressed. When your coworker comes up to you and asks about your weekend, you seem uninterested in the conversation and unknowingly blow her off. Now your coworker feels rejected and draws the conclusion that you are grumpy because it is Monday morning, and therefore become known as the girl in the office who hates Mondays. See how easily assumptions can be formed and character can determined all do to that one little thought before you started the day? Thoughts are powerful and should not be taken lightly.
However no need to fret, below is “THE SOLUTION” to help you create a fresh new perspective and change your mindset to allow more positive events to freely flow into your life and change you entirely. First thing you should know, it starts with the mind.
- Create a new routine: At times we can get caught up in a daily routine that no longer serves us. If you’re still holding on to that college schedule where you stay up all night, get up early and crash as soon as you get home… It’s probably time to put yourself on a more discipline schedule that allows you to get the most out of your day. Take a “schedule check” and mentally go through your M-F and figure out what adjustments can be made. Can you get more sleep, have more “Me” time or take on a new hobby? You’ll be surprised how much free time you actually have.
- Learn to be a giver and a receiver: Changing the way we interact with people and the way we interact with ourselves is vital! Giving and receiving doesn’t always have to be associated with money. When someone passes you on the street you can smile at them or when you're standing in the grocery store line you can ask the person in front of you how there day is going. There are so many ways to freely give and make other people feel special. However, it is just as important to make yourself feel special too. What are you unconsciously telling yourself throughout the day? Are you mentally lifting yourself up or tearing yourself down? The best way to assure positive thoughts is to state them out loud. This is known as affirmations, which are positive statements you declare to yourself about yourself. Here are a few examples:
- I AM beautiful
- I AM worthy
- I AM going to conquer the sh*t out of this day, because I am a powerful woman and a force to be reckon with!
Get the idea? Say affirmations to yourself daily and you will be blown away on how it changes the way you think and feel about yourself.
- Find a new and better circle: Sometimes it is necessary for an entire life refresher and the need to get rid of some clothes, the junk in the garage and even “friends.” This may break your heart, because it has broken mine in the past, but not everyone you are friends with at this moment will/needs to be friends with you forever. Once you realize and accept that certain people are only by your side for certain seasons in your life, you will have a much easier time parting ways. “Birds of a feather flock together,” you are who you spend the most time with, so right now take a“friend check” and determine what kind of friends you have. Are they self-sufficient? Do they handle their finances well? Are they supportive? Etc. However let me make ONE thing clear, no one is perfect, so don’t drop your friends because they don’t check off every box on the perfect friend list. Use your judgment and come to a conclusion that works best for your situation.
- Grab some sunblock and sun rays: When in doubt walk it out! Nothing cures the soul and mind like a refreshing walk outside in the sun. The vitamin D we get from the sun almost instantly activates the receptors in our brain and releases dopamine, the natural feel good drug that pretty much measures how we emotionally respond. (Should probably get outside when it’s “that” time) So it is extreeeemly important to go outside and get fresh air daily.
No matter what say “YES!”: DISCLAIMER: must be legal and not interfere with your core morals and values. Now that that’s out of the way, take opportunities that you normally wouldn’t take. Be spontaneous, go on the impromptu weekend trip with your girl friends, go dancing or go to a museum! The point of this is to experience something new. We live in a world where the opportunities are endless! Get out of your comfort zone and "do" life!
Change your normal (most times stubborn) way of thinking and get a fresh new perspective. We have to constantly re-invent ourselves and stay sharp and interesting. It is unbelievably easy to get caught up in the same routine and do the same thing every day, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but too much of anything does the body and mind no good. Give the solutions we discussed a try and change your outlook on life.